29 March 2011

Where have all the Table Manners gone?

  
Eating is no longer for sustenance; it's a social activity!  We are not vikings!  I would love to tell people: "A viral video of you eating can single handedly change the Global obesity epidemic" or "You're eating habits have the ability to convert the most rotund individuals towards anorexia".  These are terrible things to say to someone, out loud.

The issue with table manners is it takes time, effort and the constant voice of someone reminding them. Thus, this is a "nurture" issue.  You're eating habits is a direct reflection of poor parenting. If I ate at a table with poor table manners, in public, my Mother would lightly pinch me under the table to indicate my wrong doing.  If I ate 'poorly' at home there would be incessant nagging from both of my Parents.  I didn't know which was worse; the pinching or the nagging.  I chose neither and followed every eating rule.  

My largest pet peeve:  Open mouth eating and smacking gum.  It is DISGUSTING!!!!!!!  My last roommate and Dear friend, eats like what I would imagine, the guys whose plane crashed into the Andes ate like, after they were rescued and had their first meals.  There is no reason for this.  He did not go days/months without any real food except for the dead bodies of his friends and family.  I mean, he eats like a rat and I despise vermin-literally and figuratively. 

Some Table Manners Bullet Points Worth Remembering:
  • close your mouth when eating and chewing gum
  • Put a napkin on your lap.  This is more for your clothes sake...
  • You're not shanking someone nor fishing; hold your fork and knife appropriately.
  • Do not place your fork and knife on the sides of your place like a kayak.  You are not an Olympic Rower and never will be.  Place your knife and fork completely on your plate.  
  • Picking your nose in public is gross, let alone at the table.  And if you have a nasty cold, go to the bathroom to blow
  • Don't talk with your mouth full
  • Eat slower!  
  • Wait until everyone receives their plate before you eat
  • Come on!  I'm trying to eat here.  Don't reach your flaky non moisturized arm, or chemical filled H&M sweater, over my plate. But, if you must, say: "I'm sorry for my reach"
Some helpful links:
I recommend this book.  I have given a copy of this book to my Ex- Boyfriend and constantly make references to this book to my friends.  While this may seem like a passive aggressive action, I can assure you, my aggressive bitching comes far before the passive bestowing of the book.  But it has to be done.   This book is good for all ages; easy to read with helpful illustrations.  It is being sold at Barnes and Noble for approx. $14.00 (sales price.)

No comments:

Post a Comment